What causes high urea and creatinine levels?

Dr. Ravi Bansal

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: yes,thank you.on 7/17/14 had to have stint.bld wor was performed.my cratinine was 1.8,bun was 27.i quikly changed my diet eliminating sat,dairy foods,went to decaffe coffee and been eating mostly rice and veg.had bld test run again on 7/23/14,my creatinine was normal,but ,the bun was 33 .any reason?
you ask if I tried any meds. not for this problem.but,the meds I am on is:gemfibrozil 600mg 2/day. alprazolam 0.5mg 1/day.clopidogrel 75mg 1/day.asperin 81 1/day. atenolol 25 mg. 1/day. pravastatin 40mg. 1/day.over the counter sleep aid 1/night
I do not recall them drawing bld before the heart XXXXXXX my daughter in law works for ENT and plastic surgeon.she said they get that all the time (the increased creatin and bun)from the XXXXXXX that is used in XXXXXXX anything to this?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 2 days later
Brief Answer:
rising creatinine.

Detailed Answer:
hello XXXXXX,

High urea and creatinine shows low renal functions.
It can be an acute process or chronic.

Acute factors are- Use of pain-killer medicines, urine infections or any other infections in body, allergic phenomenon, episodes of high blood pressure or sugar, use of contrast agents in CT or angiography.

Among the medicines you are taking- the combination of gemfibrosil and pravastatin may have impact on renal function if used in patients already have renal dysfunction. Kindly discuss with your physician. you have not mentioned till what level serum creatinine recovered. If it is 1.5 it still correlates with your BUN levels.

Aspirin low dose upto 150 mg/day is safe. but 500 mg/day or more and also impact urea levels. do you have black colored stools. that can be because of blood in stools and this can also lead to high urea alone.

As far as having increased creatinine after heart XXXXXXX studies. yes it is a common phenomenon in patients who are diabetic having renal disease, patients having myeloma or other kidney disease. and generally the creatinine recovers over one week in most of the patients. Patients should be followed weekly for a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps you. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D