What causes high resistance in placenta during pregnancy?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is 24 week pregnant. we did a doppler sonography and it suggested high resistance in placenta. her blood pressure is also normal. what are the causes and effects of the same??? what precautions need to be taken???
Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UPLOAD DOPPLER SCAN REPORT.

Detailed Answer:

According to your information, it is mostly suggestive of placental insufficiency. Kindly, upload or attach last Doppler scan report to assist you better and give proper guideline.

Waiting for your response and attached report.

Dr S Patra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 24 hours later
Hi doctor
Attached is the doppler report.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for attached report. Followings are my comments:

1) High resistance flow with diastolic notch on both uterine artery and umbilical artery are suggestive of placental insufficiency.

In this condition, placenta is unable to supply adequate oxygen and nutrients to the baby from the mother’s bloodstream. Without this vital support, the baby cannot grow and thrive.

It is a blood flow disorder and can lead to low birth weight, premature birth, and birth defects. It also carries increased risks of complications for the mother.

2) It is commonly seen in pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure with proteinuria) or pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) and Placental abruption.

FETAL RISKS: Greater chance of IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Retardation), Fetal distress, learning disability, hypothermia, hypoglycemia, preterm labor etc.

3) MANAGEMENT: Periodic monitoring with ultrasound scan or color Doppler study with necessary investigations are MANDATORY to prevent complication. Her BP is NORMAL and it is quite GOOD indicator.

Test includes: a) Urine examination for protein
b) Blood sugar (PPBS), Complete blood profile.
c) Alpha-fetoprotein levels in the mother’s blood
d) Fetal non-stress test - to measure heart rate & contraction.

In such case, proper assessment is required and mode of delivery is preferably C-section. After birth Special Neonatal Care in NICU or SNCU may be required in some cases.

4) SALT restricted diet with high protein content is preferable. Amino acid or protein supplement may be required. Regular 1/2 hr walking and adequate rest are essential. Drink more water 2.5- 3 lit / day to improve circulation.

SUGGESTION: Kindly, consult with your obstetrician for proper management of the case.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr S Patra

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326