What causes high pulse rate during fever?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Hello I am 65 and have been suffering very badly with a flew for the past two days. Is a pulse rate during this sick period of 101 acceptable. Temperature fluctuates t0 38.2 is that acceptable as I have no access to a doctor out in the centre of Australia.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dont start antibiotics now only.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Based on your clinical history, I can comment as follows:

1. Pulse rate during fever will be high and 101 is completely acceptable.

2. 38.2 degree temperature is high, but is acceptable. Continue with coldril tablets if temperature starts rising. If you have specifically paracetamol, it should be adequate.

If you have any specific symptoms, like cold or cough, you can take coldril. Any other symptoms, if present, do let me know. Continue with medication, avoid antibiotics at present.

Drink plenty of water.
Any further queries, happy to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari