What causes high protein in urine during pregnancy?

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Doctor now i am pregnant and i checked 24hrs urine albunium test and the result showing 954 mg%/24 hrs.for that any home remedy is there to control my albunium level?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM,

I understand that you have 954mg % protein in 24 hours. However this amount of protein is not expected in pregnancy.

Presence of protein in urine may be due to some issue with the kidney or a condition called preeclampsia where there is a rise of blood pressure during pregnancy. So you will need an evaluation for the cause of this protein in urine. I suggest that you see your obstetrician, get a blood pressure as well as kidney function and renal scan done to look for any other cause and then only a proper management plan can be decided.

There are no home remedies as such and treatment will depend upon the cause.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist