What causes high level of uric acid and fatty liver?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, I had a complete health checkup on March 1 at Apollo hospital. I have attached the reports in my reports section. It has been told that my uric acid level and cholestrol level is very high and also told that i have impressions of fatty lever based on ultra sound scan. But TMT and ECG reports were all good. I don't drink or smoke. I eat non-veg and only fish and chicken. Just like any other busy software professional my physical activity is limited. I have height of 5.65 and weight of 76.6 kgs. I have put up 5.5 kgs in last 1 year. Also i have been experiencing mild chest pain daily. And i am worried about that. Doctor's told it might be because of gastric or muscle pull. My acidity is also high and often my tummy is filled with gas. I want to know how XXXXXXX is my current cholestrol level. Also I want to know the diet plan for increasing my HDL level, decrease LDL and Tryglicerides and how to get back to normal Uric Acid level. Please help. Also I would like to know on whether i can take omega-3 supplements and the prescribed brand of omega-3 tablets and dosage in mgs.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: please see details. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir 1. Your uric acid is higher than the upper limit for normal but it is not very high. It may be due to excessive protein intake like pulses /meats etc. This may be result of genetic predisposition. If you have any joint related symptoms, you should consult an orthopedician. Else try to control your protein intake. 2. Your triglycerides are higher than normal but do not warrant any drug therapy. It only requires life style modification. These include optimal weight (body mass index of 23; Body mass index is weight in kilograms divided by square of height in meters, Your BMI is~27.8 ), daily walk for ~45 minutes (in consultation with your local physician), and having a diet rich in fibers, nuts and legumes. Avoid sweets and fried items. Do not rely totally on cereals and should have adequate unsaturated fats in diet. You can also consult a dietitian for same. 3. Best way to increase HDL cholesterol is exercise. You can eat fish for increasing your HDL cholesterol. However your HDL cholesterol is normal. 4. I would detail more on LDL cholesterol once you provide me some more information. If you are a diabetic or have high blood pressure? If you ever had a heart attack / angina/ stroke or any other cardiovascular disease? 5. Omega-3 supplements are not required in your case. Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 6 minutes later
on point number 4, I do not have any issues mentioned. please advise.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: please see details Detailed Answer: Dear Sir 1. For LDL cholesterol you need not to take any medicines. However the life style modifications mentioned above should be followed. 2. As per risk scoring (considering your age, cholesterol profile, blood pressure and smoking status), the chances of having a heart attack in next 10 years in a male with similar profile is 1 in 100. That means out of 100 men with similar profile 1 will have heart attack in next 10 years. However, no risk score or prognostication tells that who will be that 1 in 100 ? Hope this clarifies the issue. Feel free to discuss further. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 4 minutes later
Thank you for the answer doctor. One last question. Eating fish for HDL cholesterol. I thought I can take omega 3 vitamin supplements instead as fish is also considered to be containing high mercury levels. Which one works better? And are there any issues if I take tablets.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No, will not recommend supplements. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir 1. Your HDL cholesterol is normal, hence I will never recommend pharmacy/ supplements for this. Though your triglycerides are higher, but they are less than the limit set for drug therapy (500-1000 mg%), hence will not advise omega-3 even for that. If you can eat healthy fish , it is fine; else do exercise to reduce your weight & triglycerides and increase your HDL. sincerely Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 14 hours later
Thank you for the clarification doctor. But I still experience bit of chest pain on a daily basis. The doctors say it might be because of gastric or muscle pull (Right now i have big abdominal obesity). Do i not plan for any other tests or just focus on the lifestyle changes which were suggested by you.
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: please see below Detailed Answer: Dear Sir If this pain was before your TMT test and was not reproduced by TMT testing and TMT was negative for ischemia, then this pain is not anginal and other causes need to be looked into. A good physician after clinical examination can pinpoint towards the cause or suggest tests/medicines for same. However if this a fresh pain after the TMT test, you need to see a cardiologist and may have to undergo fresh TMT or other stress test. Just for your information, anginal pain usually comes with exertion/ exercise/ stress and disappears at rest. It can not be reproduced by touch or pressure and has no postural relations. It normally does not lasts for hours together or less than a minute. Sincerely Sukhvinder
Follow up: Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 13 minutes later
This pain was before TMT and was not re-produced in TMT and has been there for couple of months now. The TMT test was negative.
Brief Answer: please see below Detailed Answer: Dear Sir Then you should look for some non-cardiac cause for this pain. A physician will be best help. Since local causes like bone pain, muscle pain etc can be best deciphered by examination. Sincerely Sukhvinder