• question-icon

What causes high leukocytes count in blood?

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: The Dr. tested me and said that I did not have a UTI and not take the prescription. I retested myself using UTI test strips. I showed high leukocytes and no nitrite. The Dr. prescribed nitrofur mon cap 100 mg. twice a day. With the test strip result should I begin the medication?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query

Most important in this case would be a urine culture. if the urine culture identified significant bacterial infection then this would be a certain reason to take the antibiotic.

The leukocyte mean there is inflammation there. it does not always indicate a true infection is present.

I would recommend you touch base with your doctor to see if a urine culture can be done to confirm this.

I would not start taking the antibiotic until you speak to your physician.

Soncerely,

Dr Galamaga

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist