What causes high grade fever after having Depo shot?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I started the depo shot on May 1st about 1 week after depo I started getting severely high fevers 103 for 2 days but now it just stays at between 99-101 I experience headaches & chill at night I went to 2 different doctors got antibiotic after 6 days on it still high fever went to ER last night 5-16-15 they did ultra sounds and CT on my stomach, kidneys & liver everything came back normal only that I'm dyhdrated & have uti..they did CT scan to check if I had infection in my kidneys but I don't I know uti don't ccause fever for 1 week & 2 days of fever :( it all started with depo it was my first shot and I'm getting cramp and I'm not pregnant
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I can understand your concern here.
In my opinion high grade fever maybe due to UTI because depot may cause fever but low grade.
High grade fever occurs when you get abscess on injection site.
You should go for your urine culture and sensitivity to see the causative organisms.
Drink a lot of water orally, take lot of juices, maintain vaginal hygiene, keep the area dry and clear and wear cotton undergarments.
Cramping can be due to depot shot or due to UTI.
Hopefully you found useful, feel free to ask more questions.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN