• question-icon

What causes high fever post a gall bladder removal surgery?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello,
A close relative of mine was admitted to hospital with a high fever and spent several days recuperating. Within two weeks she had to have her Gall Bladder removed due to several Gall Bladder Stones. My relative went in for key hole surgery and came home the next day. Unfortunately, within hours she was readmitted to the emergency room due to a high fever again.

After further tests it seems there was no infection where the operation was and staff seem to be unable to identify what is causing the fever. She had been having hot flushes for several months prior to this and was advised by her doctor that it was her medication. She has since come off strong Arthritic medicine due to the affect it was having on her liver. My relative is on a lot of medication but we don't know if it's her tablet causing bad side effects, whether it's her low immune response (or allergies), or even a bladder infection. This has been suggested to staff but no one is sure of the cause. Do you have any ideas what may be causing the repeat fever?

Thanks for your feedback.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Since there is no infection then could be due to bile leakage

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns. fever after gall bladder removal could be due to a number of causes such as bile leakage.Symptoms of a bile leak include tummy pain, feeling sick, a fever and a swollen tummy.Another cause of fever after gall bladder removal is Post-cholecystectomy syndrome in which Some people experience symptoms similar to those caused by gallstones after surgery, including :tummy pain , indigestion ,diarrhea ,yellowing of the eyes and skin (jaundice) and a high temperature (fever) of 38C (100.4F) or above.
In most cases symptoms are mild and short-lived, but they can persist for many months. i hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 51 minutes later
Thank you for your response Doctor. I have already received a reply from another Doctor so I don't know if the question got asked twice. However, if I have been billed twice then I will pay the extra fee since you have provided an answer. My relative did not have tummy pains or sickness and the medical team did further tests which seemed to indicate that it was not related to the gall bladder removal. However, something was going on to indicate a high fever over 40C.

Thanks again for your help.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, you are welcome , kind regards . please let me know if I can help you further .
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman