What causes high fever, fever blisters on the lips and chin?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Dental Health
Question: My son was running relatively high fever for several days, 101-103. He vomited once on the second day but that was it. He now has multiple fever blisters on the inside of his lower lip and on the outside between his lip and chin. The most concerning part are his gums. They are red and enflamed to the point where they almost look to be bleeding. Should we take him to urgent care? The fever broke on Saturday night and it's now Tuesday and his gums look worse than they did on Saturday. Very concerned!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The platelet count needs to be checked.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and have checked the attached images. Indeed the gums look red. I would insist you to get a total blood count (including platelet count) done. Please share the reports using the facility on the upper right of this page. It is most likely due to a viral infection and if the child is otherwise active and fine you need not worry. However, it would definitely be a good idea to get him examined by a doctor at the urgent care.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
He is a bit lethargic but otherwise OK. Should we take him immediately or would the following morning be OK?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on the severity of symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. It should not be a problem if you take him to a doctor in the morning but do not delay the process unnecessarily if the child seems lethargic.