What causes high fever, body ache and dark specks in vomitus?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: hi
my brother in law age 61yrs has high fever(102-103degrees F) with body ache for the last 2 days. today he had vomited twice which has blackish traces. local doctor says it is blood and serious and has asked for admittance in hospital.
why / what is the cause?
is it really serious?
regards
XXXX XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....yes admission is required
Detailed answer....
I have rad your query and understand your concern.
Black vomit or black spots in vomit give a strong suspicion of bleeding inside stomach.
Admission in the hospital is a must to first confirm the bleeding and then see the stomach from inside,by doing GASTROSCOPY, to see the source of bleeding.
Source of bleeding could be just gastritis or a small ulcer or even a big ulcer or even something else also
Danger of not going to hospital is ,that you don't know about the future of this possible bleed. Sometimes a person may bleed very excessively and it can be fatal even,as one may not get enough time to reach hospital.
It is better to go now and get the evaluation done properly and decide the future course of action.
I hope it helps however,you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 minutes later
Dr he is having severe body/ joint pain. in fact the pain came first in the finger joints then to foot. even now he has severe pain in hand , legs & feet.
is it not chickengunya?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 minutes later
Yes these symptoms do point towards chickenguniya.
A proper blood test would reveal the cause for the fever,however black vomit has much more significance and danger value as compared to the fever.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 minute later
dr thanks. could hyperacidity be the reason for vomiting?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 17 minutes later
Yes hyper acidity can also cause vomiting.
Thanks