What causes high fever and watery eyes in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 3 1/2 year old daughter has a fever of 103. She keeps saying my eyes hurt and rubs them. They are bloodshot and watery. She woke up with a fever so she's had it for 12 hours that I know of, it's a little higher now than it was this morning. She had a small dose of Tylenol this afternoon but not a lot of medicine.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload an image.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Antibiotics would not help and irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component and that could be the reason of the red itchy eyes. However, I would insist you to upload an image of the eyes. It will help me to understand the situation better and I can guide you accordingly.

You are doing the right thing by giving Tylenol when the temperature rises. Also give tepid sponging.

I will wait for your response.