What causes high ferritin levels?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi, I have G6PD and my ferritin has been 800, 640 and now 600 in the last 6 months. I also have alpha thalassemia minor. We have done tons of test to see why ferritin is a bit elevated. Any ideas? Could I be having slight hemolysis and ferritin is leaking out? Also will my organs be ok with low sustained number?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Because of hemolysis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It is true that, because of g6pd deficiency and alpha thalassemia minor, red cells can break easily. This is obviously not so severe as to cause drop in hemoglobin in you. But this certainly leads to increased iron turnover and increased iron absorption in the body.

This is manifested by elevated ferritin which signifies increased body iron stores.

As the level is always below 1000, there is nothing much to worry and no organ damage is expected. I agree with your hematologist here.

Hope this helps.