What causes high cholesterol levels?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Diet Plans
Question: Dear Doc Ji,

It seems to be very difficult for me to stop Non-Vegetarian foods.I am in a real confused way if i have heavy cholestrol that may lead to heart attack at any time.Its because of forming belly(Stomach) more as compared to previous years.Do, having chicken or egg items leads to formation of heavy cholestrol?Please suggest.What are the measurements do i need to take????
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern.

I would like to know few more details.
What is your height and weight?
Do you have family history of Heart attack?

Yes, High cholesterol may leads to Heart attack and Over weight is a risk factor.
You mentioned your food habits forming belly, but it does not mean you have high cholesterol level at this age.

Other than food habits there are several factors can cause high cholesterol like alcohol, smoking, diabetes.

I would give you some suggestions.
Avoid smoking if you smoke.
Avoid alcohol.
Avoid fast food, junk food, spicy food.
Restrict sugar contains food like sweets.
Eat omega 3 fatty acids contains food like fish it prevents formation of bad cholesterol (LDL).
Eat well balanced diet like vegetables, fruits.
You can eat skinless chicken and eggs and avoid fried food.
Avoid late night snacks. Eat 2 hours before bed.
Get enough sleep.

The most important thing is Physical exercise along with diet.
You said you are unable to walk more distance.
I would suggest you to walk for short distance then take rest for 2 minutes and continue your walk.

However I would suggest you to visit your primary doctor for blood cholesterol tests.

Hope I have answered your question.
If you have any more queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari