What causes high cholesterol levels and low Vit D levels?

Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Cholesterol
Question: Hello Doctor,

My name is XXXXX. In Nov'13, I got my blood test and found deficiency in D3 and B12 (dont have the reports now). Since then, I have been doing exercise for 30-45 mins on 5 days in a week. Recently again I did my blood test from Manipal and the reports are mentioned below:

Cholesterol total (CHOD/POD) - 225.5
Tryglycerides (GPO/POD) - 288.7
Cholesterol HDL (direct) - 37.2
Cholesterol VLDL (calculated) - 57.7
Cholesterol LDL (calculated) - 130.5
T.chol/HDL.Chol. Ratio (calculated) - 6
Vitamin B12 - 121 pmo/ml
Vitamin D3, 25-0H 16 ng/ml

I am pure vegitarian and non-alcoholic person. Work requires stress and long sitting in office and driving hours.

Kindly suggest.
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regular exercises and diet restrictions

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your reports. It suggests that you have high levels of cholesterol, low levels of Vitamin B12 and optimal levels of Vitamin D3.

As you are in your 30s, I would had suggested you to start with regular physical exercises along with diet restriction(if you are not following) and to get your lipid profile done again after 3 months and if the levels are still high then you need to start on lipid lowering drugs. But as you are already on lipid lowering drugs please continue with it as advised.

You can follow these instructions which would be helpful in lowering your cholesterol levels:
1. Avoid high fatty and oily foods. Especially at night and before going to bed.
2. Avoid going to bed immediately after food and maintain a gap of 2 hrs between dinner and going to bed.
3. Consume plenty of fluids like water and juices.
4. Consume plenty of vegetable salads before any meals as this would fill your stomach and can have your restricted meals.
5. We have dieticians available here. You can post a query to them asking for a diet plan. They would prepare a low calorie diet for you.
6. Follow regular physical exercises.

Vitamin B12 levels are known to be low in pure vegetarians as there is no source of vitamin B12 in vegetarian foods. You need to start on vitamin B12 supplements like Becosules tab or Neurobion forte once a day for 60 days. And get Vitamin B12 test done after 2 months.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help you.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju