What causes high calcium level and low sodium level in blood?
Blood work results are needed as following
Hi my dear,
Thank you for taking care of your mom.
Can you please send the reports of her blood work so I can analyze at what level the calcium is high and sodium is low?
Next, you are also reporting that she is using calcium supplement. Its use can be a possible factor increasing her calcium levels.
Can you please specify whether she is following a low sodium diet for her kidney problems?
Looking forward to have the requested information in for a more specific answer.
Thank you for providing the numbers of the calcium and sodium levels of your mom. As different labs do have different reference range, I'd appreciate to have the reference range of the lab where she ran the test.
Generally, the normal range for sodium level is between 135 and 145 mg/dL. The level of 132 of your mom is slightly under the general range (however, I do not know the reference range used by the lab). That is explained by taking low salt in her diet.
With regards to calcium, I presume the figures are in mmol/L. Generally, normal range include 8.0 - 10.8 mg/dl or 2.00 - 2.60 mmol/L. As your mother's calcium level is 2.60, it is at the upper normal range.
Hope it answered to your queries!
Totally agree to stop calcium suppl.prior to testing
I totally agree with her doctor's decision. She should stop any calcium supplement prior to testing (for at least a few days before the test or as advised by her doctor ).
This won't cause drops in calcium level at the point you fear. do not worry about that.
This is the right thing to do.
With regards to her vertigo, there might be various causes:
- inner ear problems
- brain issues
- electrolytes imbalance .
- treating the root problem
- treatment of symptoms only
Had she run any test so far for her vertigo problems?
Hope it helped!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes low sodium levels
- Causes of high sodium levels
- Causes of high calcium levels
- High blood sodium levels causes
- What causes high calcium levels
- What causes elevated sodium level
- What causes elevated calcium level in blood
- Causes of increased sodium levels
- What causes high calcium level in body
- What causes high sodium levels
- May have a mild attack of gout. Red and swollen. Uric acid was slightly...
- Over weight. Having lot of hair on face. What can be wrong?
- What are the chances of getting diabetes for a person having chronic...
- Child having hair loss, unable to gain weight and sweating. Had a blood...
- Took 5 mg of propranolol. Will there be any side effects?
- Itching sensation all over body. Noticed blood under tongue. Are they...
- Having mild to moderate pain after root canal treatment. Could this be...
- Have diarrhoea and diagnosed with Cryptosporidiosis. Anything serious?
- Pain in left thigh, testicular pain, dizziness and nausea. Pain radiates...
- Taking nexium and having stomach upset. How long should I take nexium?