What causes high calcium concentration in pancreatic juice with lower back pain?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have rescently had labs done at a local Hospitol . The report say that I have a large amount of calcium in my Pancrious. I have been experienceing a lot of pain in my right side, just below the waist line, very close to my hip joint . I also have painful urination. What is going on ?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chronic pancreatitis and possible urinary tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query. It is possible that you have chronic pancreatitis. The resultant injury is letting the pancreatic juices leak out and autodigest the pancreas. The resultant damage is leading to tissue damage which in turn is getting calcified. The mentioned finding is likely to have direct association with your abdominal pain.

You could also be having urinary tract infection. You need to get a routine microscopy and culture sensitivity of your urine done.

As of now, drink plenty of water. Based on these reports, I would be able to tell you whether treatment with antibiotics is essential.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 57 minutes later
What is the treatment for Chronic Pancreatitis.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lifestyle modification and stress reduction techniques would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Treatment consists of:
* Abstinence from alcohol (if any).
* Proper hydration
* Pain medication
* Endoscopic therapy aimed at decompressing an obstructed pancreatic duct
* Reduced fat intake
* Enteric coated enzyme supplements
* Surgery is usually not needed