What causes high blood sugar levels?

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: Are there other causes of High blood sugar other than diabetes...I have been prescribed metformin, actos, trulicity, jardiance, and Novolin at different times...they all bring my readings down from low 300's to about 180 on average...A!C from 12 to around 7.5-8. (Over course of 4 yrs) My new doctor (Insurance change necessitated it) put me on Metformin, Victoza, Lantus, and Humalog. It is too early to tell, but it seems the results are going in the same direction. I am beginning to wonder if I am not looking at something else, or diabetes combined with something else? As to diet I along with my wife have made many changes...no pasta, no sugar cereals/sodas, much fewer potatos/breads and now only whole grain breads, lower fat content in meats though still some beef, ocassionally a dessert, though only a taste when compared to previously. My work is very active (own a lawn service), though do not specifically aerobically exercise, am 6 ft and weight fluctuates between 250-260, so overweight though active and in shape for age. (55) Numbness in my feet comes and goes, I experience vision changes occasionally. I feel like the clock is ticking.
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The cause can be stress.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

The cause of your high blood sugars is uncontrolled Diabetes.
Your actual A1C result is not under 7% and this means that it is not yet good.

I'm sure that you can have better results because it is evident that you are a well educated diabetic and at the other side,in my opinion
,your actual treatement is a good regymen.

If you follow a strict low carb diet and your are active throughout the day than i suggest to consult your treating endocrinologist to adjust your insulin dosis.

Stress can be a potential cause that increase your blood sugar levels.
Both mental stress and physical stress(an infection or a pain) can increase your diabetes numbres.

My advice for you is to talk with your treating endocrinologist about your right insuline and Liraglutide dosis and Try to manage stress.
In my opinion,this is all you need to have perfect blood sugar results.

Hope i have clarified all your doubts.
If you have other questions,feel free and ask.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T