• question-icon

What causes high blood sugar levels, increased thirst and frequent urination?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: I have very high blood sugar, great thirst and uncontrollable urination. What is going on? Thank you! XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms are because of high sugar.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Excess thirst and uncontrollable urination is because of your very high blood sugar (350 to 450).

Very high sugar level in blood cause diuresis leading to frequent urination and water loss from the body and as result of this,you will also have excess thirst. It should be controlled on urgent basis.

Generally,120 to 150 mg% blood sugar is considered as a well controlled sugar for a diabetic person.

Very high sugar should be controlled with short acting insulin like human actrapid with proper dosage.Once sugar is controlled (below 200mg%),you can be given on longer acting insulin like human mixtard.

Strict dietary restrictions of sugar is also mandatory in order to control this high sugar.

Since you have already tried different types of insulin,I will suggest you to see your treating physician or diabetologist who may start with short-acting insulin and their appropriate dosages under strict medical supervision.

Once your sugar is controlled (desirable random blood sugar around 120 to 150),these symptoms will also be subsided.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sandip Kabra