Owl Image

What causes high blood pressure?

Owl Image
Dr. Prasad

Question
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

What causes the blood pressure to be high ?

This morning my reading within 15 minutes are 131/77 , 121/78 and the last reading 132/77. I was using the Omron Home Blood Pressure Monitor.

Thanks and Regards
Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal variations...

Detailed Answer:

Dr. XXXXXXX is currently unavailable. Therefore let me take this opportunity to answer your question.

Hypertension or high blood pressure most often occur due to known causes. It may be secondary to body genetic framework. In some cases heredity is hypothetised as the cause. In other occasion it occurs secondary to hyperthyroid, medications, renal artery problems, endocrine disturbances and so on.

That being said, the blood pressure changes that you noted here are normal physiological changes which can occur with every man. You should not be concerned unless blood pressure readings are consistently high above 140/90mmHg on different occasions of week.

Nevertheless at your age, I will recommend you take a low salt diet and keep yourself active with physical exercise.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.