• question-icon

What causes high blood pressure while on Diltiazem and Pradaxa?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My grandmother is 86. She has recently started taking Pradaxa and Diltiazem after she had an A-fib period last fall. She has an appointment to see a cardiologist later this month in regards to whether she might need a pace maker but she is having some dangerously high blood pressure levels on a daily basis. It does eventually respond to the diltiazem and come down. Her doctor thinks that she is really sensitive to the diltiazem and has her on 30 mg 4 times per day but she just feels horrible. I just want to know if there is something she can do to feel better while on this medication. She seems to be well hydrated which is the only advice her doctor's office offered.
She also has SLL and was into see her oncologist yesterday. Oncologist says all blood work looks good and doesn't think her current condition is from SLL.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

As her blood pressure values are dangerously high, it is important making some changes to her actual therapy, in order to have a better control on her blood pressure. So, I would recommend switching to an ARB (irbesartan, valsartan, etc.) in order to manage better her blood pressure values.

From the other hand Diltiazem can cause headaches and fatigue. For this reason, I would recommend discussing with her doctor on the possibility of switching into a betablocker in order to maintain a normal heart rate.

I would also recommend checking her thyroid hormone levels and cortisol levels, because thyroid gland and adrenal gland dysfunction can lead to this clinical scenario.

I would also advice to reduce salt intake, in order to lower naturally her blood pressure values.

I agree with your doctor on the fact that a good hydration is very necessary in her clinical situation.

You should discuss with her doctor on the above issues.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist