What causes high blood pressure and blood sugar post pregnancy?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,Post pregnancy i have been having high blood pressure and was detected with high blood sugar in the 3rd month of the pregnancy.Intially it was told i h ad preclampsia but later they are had a dbt if its due to some othe issue.Recently there was an CT scan taken and a 9 mm adernal adenoma was found.Adlestrone was normal.But Cortisol test was not done by Lab.I am not feeling very good for a while inspite my blood sugar and pressure is in control.Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adrenal functional vs non functional adenoma

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted your case history.
High blood pressure and blood sugar could be part of pregnancy itself or due to excess hormone secretion from adrenal adenoma. One important thing to determine if the adrenal lesion is functional ( secreting hormones) or an incidental finding. ( adrenal nodules are often fond on routine CT scans and many are benign)

Why was the CT scan taken? Would like to see the full report of CT scan. There will be so many other details about the adenoma. The contrast enhancement, hornsfield unit, contrast wash out time, etc are important to analyse the lesion. Could you attach the CT report?

Noted that aldosterone is normal. What about Renin? Was the blood test for aldosterone done in the morning ? Lying or sitting ?

If you are not pregnant now, we need couple of urine tests now. 24 hour urine free cortisol, 24 hour urine catecholamines, metanephrines and nor metanephrines,
Few blood tests like, serum potassium, 8 Am serum cortisol, 8 am upright serum Aldosterone, plasma Renin, DHEA-S etc.

These are important tests in the evaluation of adrenal adenoma.

Noted that you have not been feeling well despite the BP and blood sugar normal. What symptoms do you have? Do you have excess hair on body or acne recently ? Any pinkish strecth marks?

I would appreciate a reply with above details

Binu