What causes high blood pressure after taking Losartan?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My blood presure is 198/109. The doctor change my meds from Lisinopril 20mg to Losartan 100 mg two week ago. My presure was about 160/75 when he change it
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
was trying to bring BP to goal

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The previous value of 160/75 mmHg was above the BP goal for persons with high blood presssure. In 2014, new guidelines were released in the US (called the JNC 8 blood pressure guidelines).

In these guidelines the blood pressure goal for persons over 60 was raised to : (1) systolic (top value) less than 150 and (2) diastolic (bottom value) of less than 90.
Goal is bp less than 150/90

Because your top value was 160 (even though bottom was 75) , your doctor changed the medication to try to see if the blood pressure would improve.
He would unfortunately not have known that it would rise higher, he was trying to bring it down to the BP goal.

You would need to contact him to let him know that the blood pressure is even higher.
You may need to take an additional medication to help to bring it down or use a combination tablet (two medications combined into one tablet).

Most persons with high blood pressure need more than one medication so it would not be unusual for your doctor to add another one.
It would help to bring you to goal BP

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions