What causes high blood pressure after consuming prawns?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: whether eating prawn causes/increases high blood pressure
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....eating too much prawns can definitely increase and cause high blood pressure.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Prawns have both good and bad effect on our body.
Prawns contain unsaturated fats,proteins and omega fatty acids which make them good for you but they also contain cholesterol and high sodium content which makes them little bad.
A 3 ounce prawn contains around 180 mg cholesterol and around 800 mg sodium.
A normal adult needs around 2300 mg sodium and a heart patient should take around 1500 mg sodium. Similarly an adult requires 300 mg of cholesterol in a day. Remember,high sodium content is responsible for increase in blood pressure as well as osteoporosis.
In nut shell,prawns are good for your body provided you take them in moderation and without added salt and also without any additional gravies and sauces which in itself contains lot of saturated fats and sodium
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks