question-icon

What causes high bilirubin levels?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014
Question: My bilirubin is high - Indirect is 1.8, Direct is .4 What are some of the causes of this?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
See the detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

The normal range for direct bilirubin is 0.1 to 0.3 mg/dl and the normal range for indirect bilirubin is between 0.1. to 1.0 mg/dl.
Your test report shows that both direct and indirect bilirubin are slightly elevated.
The direct bilirubin is elevated in cases of obstruction of the external biliary tract. The obstruction can be due to external or internal obstruction like stones, mass etc.

On the other had indirect bilirubin is elevated due to increased destruction of the red blood cells..
This is commonly seen in hemolytic anemias., congenital hyperbilirubinemia syndromes.
If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist