What causes high appetite and sleeplessness after feeding Nexpro?

Dr. Meera Kotecha

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor,

My daughter is 45 days old. She vomit milk after feeding, not after every feed. Doc suggested ultrasound scan to detect pyloric stenosis. The reports came out normal. Doc prescribed her domstal and junior lanzol for reflux. After having these for 1 week. Her vomit stopped and there was only spit up of curdled milk. Again after 2 weeks her vomit started. We consulted another pediatrician, he suggested nexpro junior powder for GERD, half XXXXXXX in the morning and other half in the night before feed. Her vomit has reduced but appetite has increased. She feeds for more than half an hour (normally she feeds only 10 to 15 mins) and immediately after burping cries coz of hunger. I have a good secretion of milk. She also does not sleep well. Hardly sleeps for a few minutes between a feed and burp, also on the night time. Today I did not give her the powder and she feels normal. Is it coz of the nexpro junior. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
stop nexpro junior, continue domstal

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using health care magic.
I can understand your concerns.

In my opinion you should stop the nexpro junior as it can lead to side effects like stomach pain and flatulence in some patients.

I would suggest that you give domstal for vomiting. If not better, then add junior lanzol. Give for another week. You may also put her sleeping position to a 40 degree elevation of the head and chest. this will also reduce the chances of reflux.
Burping after each feed is needed.

I would like to know if the baby is gaining weight adequately? around 30 gms per day?
If so then nothing to worry.

I hope I have helped you.
If you have any further query please feel free to ask.
Dr. Meera Kotecha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Meera Kotecha 41 hours later
Hello doctor,

Thanks for your advice, was really very helpful.

And yes, she is gaining weight normally. If she is not gaining then in that case what has to be done?

Dr had prescribed visyneral and vitanova to be given once daily. But asked to stop it for time being. How long this has to be stopped and why? Will she have any problem if these are not given?

Plz also advice whether we can give her gripe water or colimex drops?
Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No problem in stopping the drops

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking.
If she is not gaining weight then we have to think about other diagnosis as babies with GERD have normal weight gain.
There are multi vitamin and Vit D drops. Some children may not tolerate them and it may cause vomiting. So it has been asked to stop. There will be no problem if they are stopped.
Gripe water and colimax are better avoided for infantile colic. If needed use preparations with simethicon and dill oil like colicare drops or similar preparation. And try to burp her properly. When she is windy put her in prone position.
I hope I have helped you.
Thank you.
Dr. Meera Kotecha

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad