question-icon

What causes high TSH level?

Posted on Tue, 31 Dec 2013
Question: Dear Doctor, Please see the appended details for Thryroid test done recentlt; please advice what should be done T 3 77 (60-200) T4 7 (4.5-12.0) TSH 26.33 (0.30-5.5)
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel (7 hours later)
Brief Answer: Hypothyroidism Detailed Answer: Hello Madam I do understand that you are a 35 year old female with a history of hypothyroidism and on treatment with thyroxine 100mcg and now concerned about your thyroid results. You T3 and T4 value is normal and TSH is high. This could be due to 2 reasons; 1. You had been irregular in treatment. 2. Your dose is inadequate. If you had been very regular in treatment and you have no other complaints, then probably your dose is inadequate and i would prefer to increase the dose to 125mcg and reassess your thyroid profile after 8 weeks. Hope this answers your question. wishing you good health. regards
Dr. V. Kumaravel

Endocrinologist