What causes high Prolactic level after taking Paliris?

Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I am 41 and am taking Depakote 500 mg,palaris 3 mg and buspin 5 mg for anxiety and mood disorder.
Taking them for last couple of years and now after consutaion with my doc i stopped palaris as it was causing dull and lethargic feeling and my prolactic level was high.Its been 2 days since i stopped the medicine paliris 3 mg but i have been feeling very tired.WIll this feeling continue or stop after a while.Please advise.Otherwise i feel very active.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May take one-two weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for writing to us,

Yes, Paliris is known to cause high prolactin levels. The drug is used for acute management of mood disorders. Yes in some patients it may cause lethargy. You may need to wait at least a week or two for all the effects to wear out. Since it has only been two days of stopping the drug, you will need to observe for some more time.

If after two weeks, it does not stop, then we may have to consider other possibilities like other drugs being responsible for it. But since Depakote is only 500 mg/day and Buspin is 5mg, both are small doses and are unlikely to cause it. Another possibility is the residual depressive symptoms itself. You can try and get yourself on a daily activity schedule as a routine that keeps you occupied and active throughout the day, in which 30-60 mins exercise if added will be very beneficial. You can include activities that interest you and those which don't tire you out fast.
If this does not help, then you may have re-visit your psychiatrist for an evaluation.

Hope this helps,
Dr A Rao