What causes high MPV and high absolute neutrophils in pregnancy?

Dr. Minoo Bhagia

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: What is platelet count highMPV high absolute neutrophils in pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
direct answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome and thanks for posting the query

High Mean Platelet Volume and high platelet count usually indicate immature or young platelets in the blood whose size is bigger than normal.This condition is usually associated with hypertensive disorders of pregnancy leading to clot in the fetoplacental circulation and causing miscarriages or Intrauterine growth retardation.
High MPV can also be seen in diabetes and it can be genetic factor also.
Absolute neutrophils in body should not be more than 8 , normal level is 1.5 to 8 .It is increased in case of stress , eclampsia , bacterial infection and autoimmune disorders.
If three of the above are raised you should think of common things first in which comes the PET or preeclampsia in which the BP is high , there is edema on the body and albumin in urine.
You have not mentioned your obstetric history , past and current pregnancy so it is very difficult to reach a diagnosis.
Irritable bowel syndrome can also raise absolute neutrophil counts, hoshimotos thyroiditis can also cause raised levels.
Please send me the investigations reports and scan along with Blood Pressure readings so that I can reach a final diagnosis.
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D