What causes high FHHB level?

Dr. Arnab Maji

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am concerned about a high FHHB level that has been climbing over the years. It is now at 64.5%.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly answer my query

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Fractional deoxyhemoglobin concentration is 64.5% which is worse. But I will be in a better position to answer it if you kindly tell me the exact condition or disease you are suffering from. I am eagerly waiting for your reply.
Dr Arnab Maji
Consultant Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Maji 19 hours later
I have Chronic Lyme Disease with a host of co-infections (Bartonella, Babesia, parasites, mycoplasma?, Chlamydia pneumonia). I cannot clear lyme or mold toxins and when for many years I lived in a moldy house, I developed a host of autoimmune issues; such as alopecia areata ( I had this for at least 2 years), I tested positive for systemic scleroderma), ulcerative colitis, which is worsening), migrating joint pain, unspecified encephalitis, chronic fatigue, etc. No one can tell me what the high FHHB means, let alone treat it. I still work full time, but am fighting an uphill battle. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly go through the text below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your detailed reply.
From your history it is quite clear that you are suffering from a chronic lung disease what is hampering your blood gas transfer in the lung. As a result adequate oxygenation is not going there and probably some amount of intra-pulmonary shunt is there within the lung. As a result all the hemoglobins of your blood are not getting a chance to be saturated with oxygen and thereby increasing the level of deoxygenated hemoglobin which is clearly revealed in your FHHB report. To decrease the rate of increment of FHHB I think you need to have a proper treatment of your lung disease along with pulmonary rehabilitation programme.
If you want to know further you can write back to me.
If you are happy with my answer, kindly write a review for me.
Thank you.
Dr Arnab Maji
MBBS (Hons), MD
Consultant Pulmonologist
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Maji 25 hours later
Do you think that it is the systemic scleroderma that is causing my pulmonary shunting, and hypoxemia. My O2 saturation with a pulse oximeter ranges from 95% to 98%. I seem to have compensated by increasing my resting heart rate from 60 to 95 bpm. What are the treatments available? What is the worst case scenario? Can this lead to pulmonary hypertension? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Systemic scleroderma is a strong possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing back.
Systemic scleroderma (SSc) is a strong possibility here. Two lung manifestations are seen in systemic scleroderma -
1. Interstitial lung disease,
2. Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH).
When it is limited variety of SSc, the chance of PAH is very high. Though it may also occur in diffuse variety also. Not only SSc, any chronic lung disease may cause PAH during the course of the disease. No permanent solution is available for SSc with lung manifestations. All we can do is to halt the progression of the disease and thereby its lung manifestations. Available therapy consists of steroid, other immunosuppressant drugs, nifedipine, oxygen therapy, pulmonary rehabilitation and vaccination. This disease needs a rigid monitoring and for this you need to be in a regular follow up of an efficient pulmonologist. In worst case this disease may lead to severe pulmonary insufficiency and thereby respiratory failure and therepy resistant PAH. I think you need early intervention and along with proper evaluation of your current disease status.
Thank you.
Dr Arnab Maji
MBBS (Hons), MD
Consultant Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Maji 7 hours later
I thank you for your response. I will certainly make an appointment with a pulmonologist. Do some specialize in autoimmune issues? I am a little confused by what is meant by pulmonary rehabilitation and vaccination. Could you please clarify. Thanks again.
Brief Answer:
Please go through the discussion below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
You have to have some auto-immune profile like anti-neuclear antibody(ANA), anti-topoisomerase 1 antibody, anti-centromere antibody. Vaccination is done to prevent recurrent fatal lung infections in a compromised lung. Pulmonary rehabilitation is to increase your quality of life and hazards arising from a compromised lung.
Thank you.
Dr Arnab Maji
MBBS (Hons), MD
Consultant Pulmonologist