What causes high BP even after having bystolic?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: For years i was on nifedipine 60mg once a day ans losartan 20mg twice a day and my blood pressure was in optimal control, lately my legs start swelling a lot and was determined that the nifedipine was the culprit. My Dr. change my medications and no one control my BP know. my legs are ok. Since last week i star taking bystolic 10mg with losartan and my bp doesn't come down average 165/180 and 75/100 and an strong shortness of breath. Yesterday my Dr. Change to edarbyclor 40mg/25mg instead of the losartan and my bp still the same at one time in the Dr's Office 208/110 and the shortness of breath, weakness, thrist its to much. any info?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your questions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX,
and thank you for asking HCM!

You change the therapy to bistolyc and edarbyclor 40/25 mg, but still your blood pressure is high. However I would like to say that you have to wait for other two weeks to see any improvement in blood pressure parameters.

Unfortunately for you after a long use of nifedipine you have experienced leg swelling, which is one of the side effects of nifedipine (Calcium channel blockers). So you can't use more this group of drugs. If you experienced again shortness of breath and high BP readings (208/110 mmHg) I recommend going to emergency room to treat Hypertensive crisis.

Meanwhile I suggest a healthy life style especially a diet in low salt (sodium) intake.

Hope this answered to your query!
Dr. Benard Shehu
p.s: If you have other questions please don't hesitate to ask me back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju