• question-icon

What causes high BP after taking the new reduced version of 10 mg Lisinopril?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: have there been problems with the new reduced size of 10 mg lisinopril?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Change in size but active ingredients still the same

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. I can confirm that the size of the 10 mg Lisinopril tablet has been reduced in size, almost halved, in fact. This is done for different purposes pertaining to the manufacturer and they can do so without approval from the FDA. This is because only the inactive ingredients, the fillers are reduced, while the active ingredients stay the same, meaning that you are still getting 10 mg of benefits from each tablet every time you take them.
The spike in blood pressure you are experiencing is unlikely to be caused by the reduction in the size of the pill, however there have been reports that lisinopril is not working very well for people since its downsizing. The only possible explanation is that it is a psychological effect.
However, if you feel the pill is not working for you anymore, then please talk to your doctor about switching to another drug.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ornela Ademovi