question-icon

What causes high BP after taking Celebrex for a knee injury?

Posted on Sat, 30 May 2015
Question: My Blood Pressure has increased significantly over the past few weeks since commencing Celebrex for a Knee injury. The Systolic level is continuously between 150-190 while the Diastolic remains relatively normal at about 74. Could this be a result of the Celebrex. I did ask my Gp and he suggested I continue the Celebrex till surgery in a few days. I have been experiencing symptoms of going hot and cold, headaches. This is abnormal for me as I normally have Low blood pressure
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You should stop Celebrex...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Your symptoms are related to hypertension, that is a common side effect of NSAID use (celebrex is one of them).

You should stop Celebrex and try Tylenol to relief your pain.

My advice is to discuss again with your doctor to change the therapy from a celebrex to oxycodone, tramadol or other pain killers that don't have hypertension as their side effect.

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist