What causes hiccups and vomiting?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband for the last couple months gets the hick-ups when He start to eat. As an old Army man He is used to eat rather fast. It gets so bad sometimes that he starts to vomit.I think He needs to slow down when He eats, or could there be a different reason for this? I am a little concerned.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Change in eating habit, consult gastro specialist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Hiccups can occur in number of conditions.
It can be due to irritation of diaphragm or renal/ kidney dysfunction.
Change in eating habit i.e. fast eating is required. If the symptoms revert after changing food habits no other treatment is required. If the symptoms do not revert, further work up is required.
Since, hiccups are associated with eating and followed by vomiting, I am of the opinion that it would be good if you get your upper gastrointestinal tract examined from mouth to duodenum.
You need to consult a gastroenterologist for clinical assessment.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari