What causes hiccups and heavy saliva production after eating a heavy protein meal?

Question
I'm having trouble with some type of ulcer etc. in esophagus or diaphram area. Happens when I eat heavy protein like steak, or yesterday. Feels as if food gets trapped in this area. Somewhat like a "drain" becomes clogged. I begin hiccuping & spit up heavy, bubbly saliva. Almost as if I swallowed an alkaseltzer. I hack up the bubbly stuff until I feel as if I hack up a glob. Once this happens after a short rest I can resume my meal
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gastritis or GERD

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.