What causes hiatal hernia?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I have a hiatal hernia which contains nearly all my stomach... I am seeing a surgeon on Wed can you tell me what to expect? YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely you will be qualified for the surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If you have all necessary tests done (24 hours pH monitoring, gastroscopy, barium swallow) most likely you will be qualified for the surgery. Especially if you have symptoms caused by this hernia (from the medicines you take I assume you have).
In case of hiatal hernia, usually the surgery is performed laparoscopically (key hole surgery). The procedure is called fundoplication.
As it is minimal invasive procedure, usually there is quick recovery after the surgery.

And as this is nothing urgent, you will be scheduled for the surgery.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.