What causes hemifacial spasms?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had a Injury on my Mountain Bike on March 10 2016 and for the most part landed full force on my right shoulder and it dislocated and has been recurrant since and am now getting treatment for this. However, around thst time slso noticed that from time to time have been experiencing facisl twitching under my right eye only. When i looked this up it is called Hemifacial spasms that last around a 1 or 2 mins and i can see it moving in the mirror.

1. What could have caused this bike accident or just timing?

2. Currently, visitiing family in XXXXXXX Ohio area what type doctor should i see?

3. Can you recommend a good doctor for issue in area i am in?

I am 48 and read this condition can occur in adults around age 44 and up typically.

I am active and realativily healthy. Around 6 ft 212 pounds.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Trauma of facial nerve is a possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Trauma of facial nerve is one of the causes of the hemifacial spasm, so, if you were injured on side of face too, besides shoulder, contused facial nerve is a possibility.

If you didn't injured your head or face, hemifacial spasm just happened at around the same time with trauma, but is not related in any way to shoulder dislocation.

In my opinion, you should consult with a Neurologist and you should consider to get tested with EMG and MRI imaging in order to diagnose correctly the cause of your symptoms.

Other possible conditions related to hemifacial spasm besides trauma include neurovascular conflict, multiple sclerosis, stroke etc.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
If it is not because of accident what else could cause it or be done for treatment?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptomatic treatment mainly by botox injections.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

As I've mentioned before, other possible conditions that may cause hemifacial spasm are neuro-vascular conflict ( or facial nerve compression by a pulsating artery ), stroke, multiple sclerosis.

Treatment differs according to basic condition.

Symptomatic treatment usually consists on Botulinum toxin injections.

Hope I've helped you.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee