What causes hemifacial spasm?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am a 60 year old woman with diabetes and a stent and live my life with high anxiety. I work full time.
I am on medication for diabetes, heart, anxiety.

My teeth have started a repetitive tapping.....really obnoxious and I can't stop it.
Today the left side of my face has increased teeth tapping, blinking of eye, scrunching of nose and I am making weird faces and mouth movements and I can't stop this. Is this stress..... is this heart related?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get examined by a Neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
You may be having hemifacial spasms if it is involving only one side of face.
Is there any speech difficulty, facial weakness, dysphagia, motor weakness in limbs any gait abnormalities?
You should visit a Neurologist for detailed examination.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D