What causes heel pain while walking or standing?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Hellow Doctor, My wife has intense pain in one heel when walking or standing. Pain goes up the back of the heel and up a little on the back of the leg. Pain goes away when foot is elevated or walking on her tip toes. She had same problem but not as bad years ago and her internist told her it was plantar fasceitis and recommended anti-inflammatory and rest and walking in at least 1 1/2 inch heeled shoes. That helped back then. Now with this episode, pain is worse. Should she do same treatment plan as last time or go to a podiatrist or do you recommend something else ? Thanks very much, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anti inflammatory, cold compress and exercises will help.

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms that your wife has are likely to be due to plantar fasciitis if there is no history of injury to the area.
A short term rest and oral anti inflammatory drugs are required to take care of the inflammation.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.
A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
Exercises also play an important role and I'm afraid they are the only long term mainstay of the treatment. I'm sure you already know but these are few exercises she'll have to do for long time-
1. Calf stretch- Lean forward against a wall with one knee straight and the heel on the ground. Place the other leg in front, with the knee bent. To stretch the calf muscles and the heel cord, push your hips toward the wall in a controlled fashion. Hold the position for 10 seconds and relax. Repeat this exercise 20 times for each foot. A strong pull in the calf should be felt during the stretch.
2. Plantar fascia stretch- This stretch is performed in the seated position. Cross your affected foot over the knee of your other leg. Grasp the toes of your painful foot and slowly pull them toward you in a controlled fashion. The fascia should feel like a tight band along the bottom of your foot when stretched. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds. Repeat it 20 times for each foot.
These exercises are best done in the morning before standing or walking.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
Dr. Tayal,

Thanks very much! We appreciate it.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.