• question-icon

What causes heavy vaginal bleeding at the age of 58?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Question: I am 58 years old and still having periods, I also weigh 240 pounds. I have gone to my gynocologist and had a pap smear done and a biopsy of the uterus done and also a vaginal ultrasound done and I do not have Cancer. My Doctor has put me on progesterone pills but I have been allergic to them, I am allergic to a lot of medications especially most all antibiotics. I guess I have a very sensitive system. I am diabetic and take Glucopagh and Amaryl but am not allergic to these medications in fact I have been takeing these two diabetes pills for 17 years.. Is it possible that the Progesterone is not suppose to be taken with these two diabetes medications? Thankyou.

Since I have taken the first prescription Progesterone , I could only take 5 doses before I got an allergic reaction and the prescription said take one pill a day for 10 days so I was only able to take 5 doses before I had an allergic reaction. Anyway I started having HEAVY Menstral bleeding for 8 days which started 2 days after I stopped takeing the first prescription of Progesterone. I contacted my Doctor,he said that I would have heavy bleeding and prescribed me a different Progesterone Perscription and I have found I cant take it either. Will the menstral bleeding eventualy stop or am I in danger of possablly bleeding to death?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alternative treatment advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mam, thanks for trusting us with your health concerns
In my opinion you need an endometrial Biopsy for proper evaluation as it is not usual to have heavy bleeding at your age.
So for the time being high dose estrogen along with heparin can be given to stop the bleeding after discussing with your gynaecologist
But opt for an endometrial Biopsy and curettage at the earliest for proper diagnosis
If all comes fine then get endometrial ablation via thermal balloon which will resolve all these issues easily and is a day care procedure only.
All the best
Dr Manisha Jain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 2 hours later
I did have a Biopsy done in the office 2 weeks ago but don't know if it was Endometrial. It came back saying, No Cancer. I was told I have Hyperplasia. What is curettage?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Endometrial ablation advised

Detailed Answer:
Same procedure so it's good that you have it already.
And in my opinion you should get endometrial thermal balloon ablation done, which is a simple and effective method for your health problem.
All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN