What causes heavy vaginal bleeding after a c-section?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I'm experiencing very heavy blood loss 7 weeks after a c section. It's like someone has turned on a tap, blood pouring out, lots of clots, unable to leave toilet & soaking a large night time pad every half hour. Doctor wouldn't see me but wrote me a prescription for transexamic acid assuming it was my period returning. How do I know that it is my period and not something more serious? Or that I'm not haemorrhaging after c section? Transexamic acid has slowed bleeding a bit & I'm producing less clots now. However still very concerned that bleeding may be something more sinister.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to have internal examination and an ultrasound scan

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
The very fact that it is reducing by the use of Tranaxemic acid means that this could be your period.
But it is important to exclude miscarriage. Infection also can cause such bleeding but since you have no other symptoms of infection, it is not the cause of bleeding in your case.
An extremely rare cause for such bleeding is arteriovenous malformation in the uterus.

If the bleeding does not reduce by 50 % in a day or two with Tranaxemic acid 4 grams per day, it is important that you get examined by doctor and also get an ultrasound scan done. This will help in identifying the cause so that appropriate treatment can be taken.

I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana