What causes heavy periods twice in a month?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 14 Dec 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I've gotten my periods twice this month, 2nd time ongoing now. I also ran a high fever yesterday and body aches. I loaded up on nyquil last night and feel a bit better today but still feel a bit weird. My periods are usually heavy for the 1st 2 days then 3rd I spot. This is the 3rd day and I'm still bleeding with cramps. Should I be worried about an infection?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to hormonal changes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

The recurrent periods and a heavy bleeding that you are having is not likely to be due to an infection. It can happen due to a mild hormonal disturbance due to the illness.

Since the bleeding is heavy it is best to consult your gynecologist and get hormonal tablets prescribed to control the bleeding. Taking combined hormonal contraceptive pills will also help.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee