What causes heavy period inspite of being on Levothyroxine?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: 52 years old healthy -recent total thyroidectomy for papillary carcinoma one month post op. Thought I was having menopause no periord prior to thyroidectomy for 6 months. I am on levothyroxine 100 mcg and having heavy period first one since november ( 6 mo ago) is this all related to hormones?
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Menorrhagia is common in menopausal age

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

Menorrhagia ( prolonged bleeding) is common in menopausal age. This is because ovulation ( and menstruation) won't stop abruptly. There will be period of anovulation ( no menstruation) followed by 2 or 3 ovulation over one year and then menopause. When you get menstruation after 6 months usually the bleeding will be prolonged.

Thyroid disorders both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can cause increased bleeding. Usually it causes irregularities in bleeding - delayed periods.

If bleeding persists consult a gynaecologist- who will do an ultrasound to see endometrial thickness and presence of any fibroids.

Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you.

Dr Ajish TP [MD,DM]
Consultant Endocrinologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist