What causes heavy period bleeding?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I am 48 years old. I just finished a seven day cycle on Thursday and my cycle came back on two days later very heavy. Why did this happen?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PERIMENOPAUSAL CHANGES, RELAX.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Have you ever had irregular bleeding in the past ?
I think in your case, at 48, this is peri menopause.
Due to the inherent hormonal fluctuations that characterize this phase, irregular bleeding often happens.
The lining of the uterus thickens, and is shed off erratically.
Cyclical progesterone most often helps.
SHedding weight and an active lifestyle also do their bit.
Please have a gynaecological evaluation to confirm this presumptive diagnosis.
For a patient of mine, I would perform an internal exam - per vaginum and per speculum.
Also a pelvic ultrasound scan - this would rule out fibroids, cysts, polyps, endometrial hyperplasia ( thickening of the lining of the uterus ) etc.
Also, hormonal levels - FSH, LH, TSH, serum estradiol.
Get your blood sugars tested also.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
I understand that perimenopausal symptons can last for years. How can I get some immediate relief until I can see a doctor? What are my options of stopping my period without a hysterectomy?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CYCLICAL PROGESTERONE WILL HELP

Detailed Answer:
Until you see a doctor, if the flow is quite heavy, just take a combination of mefenamic acid and tranexamic acid, failing which, a course of progesterone.
That will surely help.
A hysterectomy is far away !
Relax.
Such transient phases can be dealt with by taking cyclical progesterone therapy each month - it will regulate your cycles.
Devices like Mirena will make the flow scanty to none.
So dont worry, there are various medical options.