What causes heavy menstrual cramps?

Posted on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Following a recent menstrual cycle., My cramps That usually end with my peroid have gotten worse, And Can be felt in the vagina - Rectal area and are very sharp in nature. My period ended a few days ago but the cramps have remained,. I am worried if this could be a onset of a herpes outbreak from what ive been reading online. I do not have any sores or blisters., Just Pain. right now . Any idead
Answered by Dr. Praveen 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do ultrasound abdomen to identify the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for writing on HCM.

Menstrual cramps can worsen for a number of reasons and cannot be definitively attributed to a single cause.After through examination, I were to do an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis to rule out the below causes which are equally common and important in your age group.

1.Fibroid (local overgrowth of the wall of the uterus)
2.Infection of the tubes and surrounding tissues(pelvic inflammatory disease)
3.Endometriosis(where the lining of the uterus ends up growing in different spots of the body)

Nothing to panic.It is important to identify the cause to plan further management.All of them are treatable if picked up in the early stages.

Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Praveen