What causes heavy menstrual bleeding after discontinuing birth control pills?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I stopped taking birth control in October and did not have a period again until December. Now I'm having a period every two weeks. I'm 49 and in great health otherwise. Will my cycle return to normal?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
At 49, these could be perimenopausal changes leading to irregular bleeding patterns.
The cycles may ease off into menopause, and then again may return to normal.
Why dont you get an ultrasound scan done, an internal exam and Pap smear ?
If all that is normal, there is no need to worry about the bleeding pattern.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 hours later
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng