What causes heavy breathing after an appendectomy and umbilical hernia repair?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi,
I have got recently appendicitis and umblical hernia surgery
after 3 days i have faced heavy breathing problem,again doctors gave some antibiotics feeling ok now but whenever cough/sneezing/ecoup came feeling like holding breathing
can you please help to get out of this problem
thank you in advance
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
how long ago did you undergo surgery...

Detailed Answer:

It is not clear how long ago did you undergo the two surgery. Usually post appendicetomy and umbilical hernia repair recovery happens in 3-4 weeks. However some amount of abdominal discomfort might last for a month or two. You might feel some difficulty .especially when coughing or sneezing. It could be possible you are holding breath while coughing / sneezing due to this abdominal discomfort / difficulty.
That being said without an examination I wouldn't be able to predict the exact cause / status.

If the surgery was recent say not more than month ago, may be you could wait for some more weeks in a hope it gets better.

Hope this is clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later
I have got both surgeries on oct 6th 2017
feeling like filling balloon in right lung for 1 or 2 seconds.
please suggest if needed any examination needed
Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be wait it out for a month and see...

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I cannot relate this feeling to any serious organic medical concern. Neither do I feel any relation to the surgeries. Usually after abdominal procedures any form of immediate complications are checked and ruled out.

Therefore as I mentioned earlier, try and see if you get better in the next month. Incase you don't or if you feel symptoms worsening, please get it checked by your surgeon.

Hope this answers your question.