What causes heavy bleeding during periods and ovarian pain?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi there,

I am a 35-year old woman with suspected PCOS. I started having heavy bleeding every 2 weeks a few months back so went back to my wild yam supplement and everything returned to normal. Before my last period I have incredible sharp pains in both my ovaries - this dissipated as my period came one. I have, however, been having dull, aching pains in both ovaries on and off for the last week - the discomfort spreads to my uterus. It is not wind. I am due to fly to the UK in a week and I can not cancel. Will it be ok to see my gynaecologist as soon as I return? I don't think I can be seen earlier. Thanks :)
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can wait for few days

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Pain in the ovaries can be due to ovarian cyst, infection or ovulation.
Since the pain you are having is on both side, it is unlikely to be ovarian cyst and since you had just before periods, it is unlikely due to ovulation.
So, the infection and pelvic inflammatory disease is more likely.Pain spreading to the uterus is more suggestive of infection.
If you are not having severe discomfort, or having fever or excessive vaginal discharge, you can safely travel and can consult your OBGYN specialist after few days.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 6 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr XXXXXXX I do have suspected PCOS, HPV and have had 2 fibroids removed in the past but none of it has been urgent.
So you are saying, in your opinion, as long as the symptoms do not worsen I can travel to the UK (staying for 2-3 weeks) and visit my gynaecologist in about a month to 5 weeks?
There is no urgency to such pain usually?
Thanks again,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No emergency condition

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, thanks for responding. Yes, you can wait for next few weeks if the condition is not severe.PCOS and HPV do not cause any emergency situation, so you can very well consult your doctor after coming back.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back to me for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 22 hours later
Thank you so much, Dr Veepti. I appreciate your knowledge and helpfulness.
If there is an infection, is it best I take some antibiotics? Could it get worse without antibiotics? I have Doxycycline and Trimethoprim that I was prescribed for my trip if I need it, but haven't used it yet.
I am going for just a brief check-up tomorrow at my GP's just for peace of mind.
I would use this service again and you have been so kind. XXXXXXX :)
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
happy to have helped you

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I am happy to have helped you.
No, the infection will not get worse with antibiotics which you are prescribed for your trip.
You can communicate to me directly for further queries by asking a direct query to me on health care magic portal.
All the best for your trip.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 11 hours later
I'm sorry but my question was not answered. I was asking if the antibiotics would help if I took them? Doxycycline and Trimethoprim.
Brief Answer:
Yes, antibiotics will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I am sorry for the confusion. Doxycycline and trimethoprim are given to treat pelvic infection and it will definitely help in relieving your symptoms.You should take them in the correct dosage and for the correct duration as advised.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
All the best for your trip.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D