Owl Image

What causes heaviness in lower abdomen along with hematuria and urinary retention?

Owl Image
Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Question
I have a heaviness in my lower abdomen along with hematuria and urinary retention (I have to strain to finish urinating). The UA only showed the hematuria, no bacteria and my white count was 10.1. I'm also having bladder spasms very frequently. The pain in my lower abdomen started on Friday and radiated into my groin area and down my legs. My doctor put me on Bactrim and Urogesic blue and sent the urine off for culture. I had several lab test ran last week which included a CA125 which came back normal, ANA/dsDNA, CMP, CBC and RA factor..all of which were normal. (These were ran prior to the abd pain and hematuria due to other symptoms I have to rule out lupus and RA. My Dr. is certain that I have an auto immune disease...just trying to figure out which one it is). If the urine culture doesn't grow anything...what else should I consider?
Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound abdomen will be required

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

It's likely that Urine culture report will not reveal any growth and would be sterile.
I would suggest you to get Ultrasound abdomen done for further assessment. In case the haematuria still persists further assessment by Cystoscope.

In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak
MBBS, MD

Follow-up: What causes heaviness in lower abdomen along with hematuria and urinary retention? 3 minutes later
I've been having joint pain and muscle weakness, blurred vision and an unsteady gait also....could any of my problems be linked to taking a high dose of melatonin?

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unrelated to melatonin Intake

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Ms

None of the symptoms are caused by intake of Melatonin

Best regards
Dr T Shobha Deepak