• question-icon

What causes heaviness in arms, shoulders, tooth ache and back pain?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: MY LEFT ARM HEAVY, FEELS LIKE A TOOTH ACHE, SAME WITH MY SHOULDER AND THIS MORNING THE UPPER PART OF MY LEFT BACK ALSO HURTS ESPECIAALY IN ONE SPOT WHEN YOU PUSH. WHAT COULD
THAT BE?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Spinal surgeon's advise & self care would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for the query. I have read your query carefully & understand your concern.
It's good that you have provided your X ray & EKG reports that short lists your basic problem.
* In my view your symptoms are due to pressure/ irritation of nerve supplying the part ... causing the tooth ache like dull pain & heaviness in arm & shoulder& also the pain in back.The pressure can be
- At neck level ( cervical rib ) or
-Cervical spine problem - May be degenerative due to age causing disc prolapse ( on left side )
- Or inflammation & infection of the rib itself ( pot's spine ) which seems to be a rare possibility in your case....causing damage of the spine & disc .. such a condition is associated with low grade fever/ loss of weight / low appetite over a long period .. as you do not complain of such symptom.. still it's considered due to the pain you have after pressing a specific point & should be excluded.
* In this context I would suggest consultation of a spinal surgeon. after detailed physical examination,he would advise your blood counts/ X ray , MRI or CT scan of cervical spine to locate exact site, nature & severity of problem.Even the pot's spine can be excluded by these investigations.
* The treatment would be according to the cause. It would be -
- Medicines anti inflammatory medicines NSAIDs.. like Ibuprofen/ vitamin B12/ Vitamin D & calcium supplement.& specific drug regime for spinal infection if any.
- Physiotherapy ,
- Surgery as per indication & gravity of the cause.
Self care-
- Do not bend your neck down, keep it erect.
- avoid lifting weight,
- avoid physical or psychological stress,
- Strictly follow the medicines & physiotherapy as per expert advise.
Please don't worry.A methodical assessment & expert advise with self care would help you to manage your problem.
I hope, you find the answer both informative & useful. Any follow up query is welcome.
Please close the answer & grade it when you are satisfied.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 56 minutes later
Dr. prescribed flexeril 5mg before bedtime. What do you think?????
Brief Answer:
Flexeril symptomatically treats the muscle spams.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the follow up query.
Flexeril is a muscle relaxant which relieves muscle spam, ( caused by nerve irritation or compression as described before/ excessive muscle strain/ trauma to the part). Ideally it is accompanied by physiotherapy.
I feel you should continue with the treatment offered by your doctor. & weather you are relieved or not.. should get investigated by at least X ray to exclude cervical spinal problem( which is more likely at the age.),in order to prevent repeat events in future.
I hope you got my point.Any more information you want I would be happy to help.
Thanks.
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale