What causes heaviness around the eyes, dizziness and low energy?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: My mother is 91 yo and in very good health, except almost daily she has spells where her eyelids get very heavy and she experiences dizziness and very low energy. It can last anywhere from one to several hours and then the symptoms completely disappear. She is normally very active, i.e., does her own house and yard work. She checks her sugar levels and BP and both are good. She has mentioned this to her PCP and is pretty much brushed off. She sees her PCP at least every six months. Only med is Zoloft
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible myasthenia

Detailed Answer:
hi.
I am Dr Mittal.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.

I need more information.
How long has she had the symptoms?
How does the symptoms begin during the day?
How do they resolve?

Heaviness of both eyes is one of the common symptoms of myasthenia gravis.
Vertigo may come as a part of strain as she feels weaker.
You see weakness occurs during constant work.
And improve's with rest.

You will need to meet a neurologist.
Any other doctor might miss the diagnosis.

Another possibility is anemia.
But since you have met a primary care physician it must have been ruled out.

Feel free to contact me for more information.
Dr Mittal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T